Monday 7 November 2011

Is It A Political Injustice For Young People?

Talking to an inspiring mediarite who works with young people a few days ago, I came up with the idea to write this blog post. I want to look at how I, along with many other young people, disregard politics and refuse to vote. Why? because we really don't believe it will make an ounce of difference.

This conversation really got me thinking. I found myself effusively making excuses for myself and other young people. Many young people don't really understand politics and it's this that causes us to doubt it. Is this really the case though? Not really, it's just choosing not to understand with a touch of ignorance. The fact is that we all do it though!

I feel that by not opening my mind up to wanting to understand politics, that I have done myself an injustice. I think that by not wanting to know helps me to use not understanding it as an excuse. I guess we can all find something to blame if we really want to. The plain truth is that I choose not to know anything, which means I have excused myself from voting. It may seem like I am being harsh on myself but at times we all need to push ourselves into learning about something that bores us.

Then I thought, what if they came up with a way that they can make politics more interesting? I went onto Google and found some great groups, here are some of my findings:
- Heads Up
- Electoral Commission

I think that the way forward is to be planted with politics and the basics at a young age so that we are curious to find out more. I have always thought of politics as boring but this one conversation caused me to challenge myself about the way I felt about politics. Here is an article that should be Read.

All that I can say is that it's never to late to start caring. We can't continue to complain about the state of our country if we are not doing anything to change it. Politics is everywhere, even when you buy a chocolate bar at the shop. If all of the young people, including me, that have refused to vote in the past, did vote, then we might be able to fight to change things. We have the power to make things better, so let's make it happen.

Opinions are life changing and we all have one. I am asking young people to read my blog and vote in the elections. If we all do it then we will be able to make things more positive and make a better life for ourselves.

We are the future, so let's make sure what we say counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment